Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dual VOT A7 Cabinets Good or bad?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member Jeffco's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2013
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Dual VOT A7 Cabinets Good or bad?

    A long long time ago I had an opportunity to buy 16 ohm JBL woofers that were used once for a concert. I had passive crossovers at the time so my solution as a very young man was to build a second set of A7 cabinets so I could parallel the 16 ohm woofers. Now I want to use Altec 416 woofers... So the question is should I load all 4 cabinets, two on each channel. Impedance isn't an issue now as I use active crossovers. I am wondering what the plus's and minus's are considering mutual coupling issues. Given the large size it is enough of a wavelength between drivers to cause havoc...

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Dual VOT A7 Cabinets Good or bad?

    Hey you could stack em!

    I am curious about this also. In the near future, I will have four 828 cabs in my listening space.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Dual VOT A7 Cabinets Good or bad?

    Hey you could stack em!
    Thats the way i'd do it, top to top so the acoustic centers are as in close proximity to each other as possible.

    9

    2nd choice an MTM type arrangement.

    10
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  4. #4
    Junior Hostboard Member Jeffco's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2013
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual VOT A7 Cabinets Good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Thats the way i'd do it, top to top so the acoustic centers are as in close proximity to each other as possible.

    9

    2nd choice an MTM type arrangement.

    10
    I have a wall for the last 30 years where they have been side by side... Before I moved the current house they were stacked... horizontally though... kind of stuck with the side by side.

  5. #5
    Junior Hostboard Member Jeffco's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2013
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dual VOT A7 Cabinets Good or bad?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffco View Post
    I have a wall for the last 30 years where they have been side by side... Before I moved the current house they were stacked... horizontally though... kind of stuck with the side by side.
    I just added a picture of what I had. I will re port the cabinets and remove the burlap on the A7's. There was also a curtain which won't return...
    Speaker compressed.jpg

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Dual VOT A7 Cabinets Good or bad?

    Oh wow, that is quite the setup you have.

    There is a lot of gear on that side wall.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.